Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Old Dog, Same Tricks

It has been a while! A long while! I've missed the blog a little. Since the last entry, the family and I have moved from the island of Guam to Interior Alaska. I took on a job working in Air Force Mortuary Affairs. Without getting into much detail on that one, let's just say it made me appreciate where I am now--back in the Dining Facility on Eielson AFB, Alaska. I work as the assistant manager and am loving being back where I belong--in the kitchen.
I'll keep this entry short, but I wanted to share my experience of today that inspired me to log back in to this old blog and say something. Today, I picked up an ingredient I hadn't touched since Germany. I picked up lobster. Lobster is an oddity ingredient that I do not like. They are ocean scorpions. Just as crabs are ocean spiders and shrimp are ocean cockroaches.
Long story short, we blew out some lobster tails and salvaged the meat. I cut it into bite-sized pieces and pondered what to do.
-2C Flour
-2T Salt
-1T Pepper
-1T Garlic Powder
-1T Paprika
-1t cayenne
Bread it and deep fry it.
That's it! It fried up crispy and perfect. It was GOOD too. Really GOOD!

There was plenty to go around and there were rave reviews from all. Most surprisingly, from the SMSgt from Louisiana. He's a tough customer as it is, but he's also a man who knows his New Orleans seafood. He would've eaten the whole plate!

My point is, it finally felt good to be back in the kitchen and completely comfortable with a long lost ingredient. I even ate my fill of "ocean scorpion."
This old dog still has a few tricks up his sleeve and a lot of kitchen time left. I have the best job in the world and work with some of the best Airmen this nation has to offer. They are talented and smart and still have a lot to learn from the old guys. But I love them.

Until next time,
--The Old Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment