Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's All About the Sauce!

I grew up in Mid Missouri. I'm not a huge fan of the town I grew up in. I'm also not a fan of most of the food in this unmentioned town. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but out of the hundreds of restaurants in the town, there were very few that took advantage of the unique position that the map had placed them. If someone from my town were to head east on I-70, they would hit St. Louis and some of the best regional BBQ in the US. The Memphis style with St. Louis blues go hand-in-hand. If they would head west on I-70, they would have hit Kansas City: home of world renown holes in the wall/diamonds in the rough like Oklahoma Joe's, Arthur Bryant's, Gate's Bar B.Q. and some of the most soulful people you'll ever want to meet. While you're there, you can visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum which makes everything better because baseball and BBQ are America! Kansas City is also home to the American Royal Championship every year.


All this sauce and smoke within two hours and only one decent BBQ joint in the town of my upbringing. We were smack-dab in the middle of BBQ Country and only one lonely BBQ Joint/Smokehouse in the entire budding community. There may be more now. I haven't been back in a few years, but everyone wanted the chain eateries that brought in foreign pop culture so they could feel well-rounded I guess. These places were good, but they lacked real depth of culture. What says culture more than heading to Kansas City, visiting the Negro League Baseball Museum, then walking over to Arthur Bryant's for a "sandwich?" I call it a "sandwich" because it's a slice of white bread with a 4"-6" heap of meat on it with another slice on top. I was never able to eat it as a sandwich because it was just too massive. The bread was there to mop up the extra sauce on the plate. The last time I was there, they had 3 types of sauce. They were all amazing!

When I grew up and joined the military, I was moved down to Abilene, TX. Texas is a mix of several types of BBQ but one thing is for sure: It's smokey and it's delicious.  It seems that in Texas, if you were to throw a rock and not hit a BBQ/Smokehouse, you probably hit a Mexican restaurant. But sometimes it was a Mexican place that had a severe Texas smoke influence. It was awesome.

I feel fortunate to have eaten so much BBQ in my short 26 years but there is one problem. I have eaten so much of this BBQ that my styles are mixed and confusing. I like my sauce to be Kansas City Sweet, my rubs to be Memphis dry and all of it to be Texas mesquite smokey. The problem is that I have no regional style. The anti-problem is that all of these regional styles smash together into a no holds barred grill fest that has not received one complaint to this day.
I love rubs, I love sauce, I love smoke and I love smoking in my current location of Germany because my neighbors think I'm crazy when I smoke a brisket or smoker full of ribs in negative temperatures with 8" of snow on the ground. The Germans do know how to BBQ though. It's a unique style that is often used at festivals. I have seen pigs on a rotisserie over wood and I have seen shoulder steaks on a hanging grill called a schwenker cooked over burning grape vines. Both are amazing, but no sauces are used and the ingredients are often left alone to speak for themselves. I have enjoyed both to the fullest extent, but it's just not American BBQ and it's definitely not often done in the winter with snow on the ground. The Germans seem to have more common sense than I do.

Anyways, on to the food. This entry will feature four sauces. The first sauce is a new venture for me. I am trying to see what food mangos and habanero peppers WON'T work with. I have yet to find one, but we will try it and see how it comes out. The second sauce will be a thick, sweet, spicy Kansas City style sauce that should encourage a slow burn mellowed out by a deep sweetness. The third will be a North Carolina Style sauce that is light on body but strong on vinegar. The fourth will be a mustard BBQ sauce that is very similar to the North Carolina style but the mustardy flavors are often reserved for the South Carolina  crowd. 
Unstirred Sauces. In order, clockwise from top left:
Tangy NC, Mango-Habanero, SC Mustard, KC Style.
  • All sauces will be served with Texas-style smoked pork spareribs. I find this to be a very versatile, cheap meat that works well with almost any sauce. 
  • All Spareribs will be seasoned with a dry rub that is found in almost all BBQ regions
    • 1/2 Cup Garlic Powder
    • 1/2 Cup Onion Powder
    • 1/4 Cup Salt
    • 1/8 Cup Black Pepper
    • 1/8 Cup Cayenne Pepper
    • 1/3 Cup Paprika
  • Mix all ingredients in a cup and season generously over some olive oil brushed ribs
  • The Ribs will be smoked for 3-4 hours prior to sauce time.
The key here is not only flavor, but versatility and shrinking cook time down because unless you cook for a living, chances are you have other things to do. This is why we cheat. We will start all recipes with the same sauce base. Tomato paste? Nope. Fresh tomatoes? I don't have that kind of time. We will start all of these sauces with crappy, $1.50 generic BBQ Sauce bought straight from the store. *GASP* Is this cheating? Yes, absolutely. Do I care? No. Because I know that given a few extra hours, I'll put in all the time to make my own. But since I have 2.87 kids, a wife and a time-consuming job, I haven't seen an extra few hours in a long, long time. Soooooooo I use Kraft Original as a starter. It's got all the consistency I want, all the tomatoes I need and a ton of artificial ingredients that came out of a lab beaker and are loosely held together chemically and whose artificial flavors can be destroyed and covered by real ingredients.
As always, enjoy these recipes but make them your own. Mess with the ingredients and come up with your own style. Any of these recipes can be easily altered to fit your favorite region of BBQ.


1. Mango Habanero Experiment
So far I have put the mango-habanero flavor combo on just about everything and have not been disappointed to this date. They play well together and this sauce is no different. Sauce is thick, sweet and will take you by surprise as the heat hits you late in the bite. Awesome sauce!
  • One Bottle Kraft Original BBQ Sauce
  • One Mango, peeled and pitted
  • 1 Habanero Pepper, stemmed and seeded
  • 1/2 Red Onion
  • 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar in the Raw
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • A couple grinds of pepper
Method
  1. Place peeled, pitted mango, half onion, and stemmed, seeded habanero into food processor and puree. You want it to be the same consistency as your BBQ Sauce.
  2. Mix all ingredients into a sauce pan. Stir. Let simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
  3. Brush onto precooked ribs using a brush or back of a spoon.
  4. Place ribs over indirect heat. Remove when tips of ribs are showing signs of blackening.
2. Kansas City Sweet & Spicy Sauce
KC Sauces are known for their sweet, spicy and thick nature. Due to the sugar content of KC style sauces, they should be over indirect heat and applied late in the grilling process unless you like burnt sugar.
  • 1 Jalapeno, seeded, stemmed and minced
  • 1/2 Red Onion, minced
  • Juice from 1/2 Lemon
  • 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 1 Bottle Kraft Original BBQ Sauce
  • 2 Cups of Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Celery Seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Ground Mustard Powder
  • 1 Pinch of Salt
  • A couple grinds of pepper
Method
  1. Mince Onion and Jalapeno
  2. Mix all ingredients into a sauce pan. Stir. Let simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
  3. Brush onto precooked ribs using a brush or back of a spoon.
  4. Place ribs over indirect heat. Remove when tips of ribs are showing signs of blackening.
3. Tangy North Carolina Sauce
Carolina style sauce is somewhere between a mop sauce and a BBQ sauce. It's thin and vinegary. It needs to be applied liberally and often. It can take a little more heat than more sugary sauces due to not being as sweet and thick as other sauces. If you are worried about not liking that bitter vinegar flavor, fear not! Vinegar at room temperature is bitter but vinegar at it's boiling point takes on a nice tangy flavor that is slightly sweet, tart and very pleasing. This is a nice sauce if you want to bring out the flavor of your dry rub and not let the sauce flavor take over your meat.
  • 1 Bottle of Kraft Original BBQ Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup of Mott's All Natural, unfiltered 100% pure Apple Juice
  • 1/2 Cup of Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 Cup of White Vinegar
  • 1/8 Cup Sugar in the Raw
  • 2 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Ground Mustard Powder
  • 1 Pinch of Salt
  • A couple grinds of Pepper
Method
  1. Mix all ingredients into a sauce pan. Stir. Let simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
  2. Ladle onto precooked ribs using a ladle or spoon. Spread with back of spoon.
  3. Place ribs over indirect heat. Remove when tips of ribs are showing signs of blackening.



4. South Carolina Sweet & Tangy Mustard Sauce
This sauce is awesome! It's roots lie in South Carolina but when I make it, I give it the thickness of a Missouri sauce. It seems to coat better and more mustard flavor sticks around.
  • 1 Bottle of Kraft Original BBQ Sauce
  • 3/4 Bottle of your favorite mustard. Even dijon or whole grain mustard will work. It just depends on your tastes.
  • 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • Pinch of Salt
  • A couple grinds of pepper
Method
  1. Mix all ingredients into a sauce pan. Stir. Let simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
  2. Brush onto precooked ribs using a brush or back of spoon.
  3. Place ribs over indirect heat. Remove when tips of ribs are showing signs of blackening.
Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Great idea about using the basic sauce for a starter, I never would have thought of that. I always make my sauce like #4, the best in the world!

    = Josh
    http://thechefenamateur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete